Registrieren  |  FAQ  |  Suchen  |  Mitgliederliste  |  Benutzergruppen  |  Login 
Neue Antwort erstellen
 ‘Nickelback Jo’ can’t get enough- delta-optimist.com- 29. Mai 2010 
little friend
Alleskönner!

Antworten mit Zitat
http://www.delta-optimist.com/entertainment/Nickelback+enough/3085420/story.html?id=3085420

‘Nickelback Jo’ can’t get enough

Australian super fan Jo Savage says the band ‘grabbed me’ the first time she saw them perform

By Jamie Hall, Canwest News Service May 29, 2010

Australian Jo Savage has travelled the world to see Nickelback perform, but coming to their homeland of Canada feels a bit to her like a pilgrimage to Mecca.

“This is like the piece de resistance for me; it’s fantastic to be able to come to the home of Nickelback and hear them perform,” she said days before she was set to board a plane to begin her 30-hour journey to Canada.

After seeing the multi-platinum rockers in Edmonton on Tuesday, Thursday night’s show at GM Place — where they’ll end the second leg of their Dark Horse tour — will be show No. 21 for her.

In her hometown of Perth, where she drives a black Mazda with a vanity plate that says NIKLBAK, she’s known as Nickelback Jo. That’s the nickname deejays at a radio station gave her for her persistent calls to their request line asking for more airplay for her favourite band.

When frontman Chad Kroeger agreed to do a live on-air interview to promote a concert there in 2006, they called her and invited her to come to the station to participate.

“I almost died; I had to put my head between my knees to stop from hyperventilating,” she says, laughing.

The experience was a bit of a blur, but somewhere in her house — where she has a pair of jeans autographed by the boys hanging on the wall of her study — she still has an audio clip of what transpired that day.

She ran into the band for the first time that year by chance when she and a friend went to a hotel for a drink and saw Kroeger and company crossing the lobby.

“I didn’t want to infringe on their time and privacy, but you think to yourself: I may not have a chance again. I mentioned to [Kroeger] we had chatted on the radio not so long ago. I had a couple of photos taken with them and that was that.”

Since then, she has met them two more times, last year in Manchester and again in Sydney during a meet-and-greet for the people who act as moderators on the band’s fan club website, where she has had the opportunity to meet fans from around the globe.

Savage, 41, is a self-employed optician, a wife and mother of two teens. In 2002, she was aware of the group’s first smash hit single How You Remind Me. She knew little else about them, though, and didn’t really care, until the band made a stop in Perth and her sister Tatum “dragged” her to her first concert.

It was a transformative experience. She didn’t just become a fan that night, she became a superfan.

“I fell in love,” she says simply. “It was everything; it was the charisma, it was the stage show, it was the interaction with the audience. And from that day on, they have just got bigger and better.”

Nickelback, she says, has become her “thing” in much the same way her husband Ian’s motorcycle racing is his. When she can, she travels to where they’re performing, often with friends and fellow fans in tow.

She takes her Dad’s playful teasing in stride — “you’re not going to see Nickel-crap again, are you?” — but is angry over the continuing backlash against the group, which has been exhaustively documented in the press.

“To this day, I cannot figure it out; critics love to hate Nickelback.

They worked hard for their success and it was a tough slog at times.

People have to give credit where credit’s due.”

Even if they don’t, she will.

“Right from the moment I first saw them on stage, they really grabbed me. It was unbelievable, and so unexpected. I mean, I don’t play music. I don’t read music — I’m tone deaf — but never in my life have I felt so passionate about something.”
© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

little friend
Alleskönner!

Antworten mit Zitat
Der Artikel ist zwar schon älter, aber ich glaube, wir haben den noch nicht im Forum.

Viele von euch kennen vermutlich Jo ein bisschen als "Tangojo" aus dem nbf.

Ich habe den Artikel rausgekramt, weil der Inhalt hier wohl auf viele Fans zutrifft, die eine ähnliche Gesichte erzählen könnten wie Jo, aber damit nicht in der Presse stehen.

Ich denke dabei gerade an ein paar besonders liebe Weggefährten auf unserer langjährigen "Nickelback-freaks-forever- tour" Wink Wink

Liebe Grüße

Love4 Love 11

BonCherie
NB-Freak

Antworten mit Zitat
Danke für den Artikel, Anja! Very Happy
Ist ja schon toll, dass die Jo das so alles hinkriegt trotz Job, Mann und Kids.

Animals97

Antworten mit Zitat
Wenn ich das Bild auf der Website sehe werd ich richtig neidisch...
Aber ist ein toller Artikel!

BonCherie
NB-Freak

Antworten mit Zitat
Solche Pics gibt`s ja nun schon recht viele

Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 2 Stunden  
Seite 1 von 1  

Neue Antwort erstellen